The Hotel Belvedere in Grindelwald has been family run for 111 years, giving them plenty of time to perfect their service levels. Not only is the service super friendly but the hotel was won awards for being ecologically responsible with the hotel's energy being supplied entirely by solar panels and numerous other sustainable practices from heat pumps to the air conditioning.
Every room has a balcony with fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. And the spa area is particularly enticing with a heated pool, indoor hot tub, external salt water hot tub, Finnish sauna, glacial steam bath and a heat mine gallery as well as massage and beauty treatments being available. When it comes to dinner the restaurant has special nights all week, from open kitchens to meet the head chef and his team to steak tartare night where the dish is prepared at your table or the fish and meat fondue to try every Monday.
What we like
- Spacious rooms with plenty of natural light and all rooms have a balcony
- Family run for three generations
- Decent spa area with an outdoor saltwater hot tub
- The Finnish sauna and glacial steam bath are nude and therefore adult only
- There is a games room with table tennis and football as well as a Wii, toddler play corner and early meal times for kids
- To get up the mountain the closest ski lift is the train which goes up to the main ski area
View on map
The Hotel Belvedere is located around the midway point between the two gondolas that come out of the town. However, the hotel's closest ski lift is actually the train which takes you directly to the heart of the main ski area. The station is 250m down the road, about a 4 minute walk. The local buses stop right outside the hotel should you wish to use them but the hotel also puts on its own service in the mornings to drop you at the lifts.
Distance to lifts240m, 4 minute walk
Distance to town300m, 6 minute walk
All rooms at the hotel Belvedere have a large balcony with mountain views and a seating corner. Each room has WiFi, coffee and tea making facilities, safe, hair dryers, bathrobes and slippers.
There are three single rooms, each still having a balcony with views of the Wetterhorn.
Approx. 20-23m2, sleeps max. 1
Each twin room has twin beds which can be pushed together to form a double. There is a bath in the bathroom and a balcony with views of the Eiger or Wetterhorn. Can have either a modern or rustic design.
Approx. 28-32m2, sleeps max 2
Deluxe twin rooms have twin beds which can be pushed together to form a double. There is a bath in the bathroom and a separate toilet. The balcony has views of the Eiger or the Wetterhorn. Can have either a modern or rustic design.
Approx. 36-42m2, sleeps max. 2
Executive rooms have twin beds which can be pushed together to form a double. The bathroom has a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower. There is a wrap around balcony with panoramic views of the Eiger or Wetterhorn.
Approx. 38m2, sleeps max. 2
Junior suites have a separate bedroom to the living area and two bathrooms; one with a bath and the other a shower. The Junior suite can sleep up to 5 people with a sofa bed and additional bed (on request) in the living room. The balcony has a view of the Wetterhorn.
Approx. 45m2, sleeps max. 5
Large family rooms are also available on request.
- Heated indoor pool
- Indoor hot tub
- Outdoor saltwater hot tub
- Finnish sauna
- Glacial steam bath
- Heat mine gallery (45-50C)
- Experience showers
- Massage and beauty treatments available on request
- Games room (table tennis, table football, billiards, Nintendo Wii, toddler's play corner, board games)
- Children's menu with pictures to colour and early meal times
- WiFi throughout the hotel
- Bed & breakfast
- Can upgrade to half board
- Resort height - 1034m
- Highest point - 2970m
- Grindelwald ski area (First and Kleine Scheidegg - Mannlichen - Wengen) - 170km of piste
- Jungfrau ski area - 220km
- Tobogganing and hiking trails - 150km
Grindelwald is best for intermediate skiers with plenty of cruisy runs and fast lifts up on the mountain. The First ski area has gentler slopes to explore.
There is a zip line and an eagle flyer that are included in the lift pass on the First area. As well as pedestrian viewpoints and walkways to enjoy.
- Blue runs 23%
- Red runs 62%
- Black runs 15%
- 45 in Jungfrau ski area
- Upgraded Mannlichen gondola for winter 2019/20
- New gondola from Grindelwald village up to Eigergletscher for winter 2020/21
Season lengthEarly December to mid-April
- Beginners - 3/5
- Intermediates - 4/5
- Experts - 2/5
- Snowboarders - 3/5
- Fast lifts - 4/5
- Après - 3/5
- Eating out - 3/5
- Charm - 4/5
- Scenery - 5/5
- Non-ski activities - 4/5
Cross-country skiing | snowshoeing | winter hiking | pedestrian lift pass | tobogganing | zip-wire | watch ice hockey | curling | indoor rope park | sports centre with pool | scenic flights from Mannlichen | train to the highest railway station in Europe | ice skating | local museum | tubing | tandem paragliding
Transfer times (by rail)
- Bern - 1 hour 30 minutes - 2 hours (very limited flights to this airport)
- Zurich - 2 hours 40 minutes to 3 hours 10 minutes
- Geneva - 3 hours 30 minutes to 4 hours 30 minutes
Grindelwald lift pass
- 3 day lift pass from £136
- 6 day lift pass from £233
Keep up to date with all the latest flexiski news