The idea of a holiday apartment is to have complete freedom and flexibility during your stay, yet, the suggestion of self-catering ski apartments may conjure up ideas of dingy and cramped, French purpose built concrete blocks, not the most appealing of prospects.
However, times are changing. Or indeed changed. Apartments all over the Alps are significantly better, it's not just improving the existing, its new builds too; planned for luxury, built for convenience and run on flexibility. At flexiski, we've visited plenty over the summer (2017/18) and have put together some of our favourites. Apartments for short transfers, reliable snow records, proximity to pistes or town and all without forgetting comfort.
Our ski apartments:
5* Le Village Apartments Arc 1950 - Les Arcs, France
With a heavy influence from the North American ski model, Le Village Apartments are a village. You can ski through the centre making each building ski in, ski out. Your own little winter retreat, complete with 4 heated outdoor pools, hot tubs, sauna, hammam and a fitness studio. Bars and restaurants are also dotted around the village, there's very little walking to do here if you don't want to.
From one bedroom up to four bedroom apartments sleeping up to 10 people.
What you may like:
- Ski in, ski out village with heated boot rooms opening onto the slopes
- The facilities, from the 4 outdoor pools to the 1000 square metre Deep Nature Spa with ice and volcanic caves as well as massage and beauty treatments
- Having your own spacious apartments with great service from the lobby area staff
- The altitude screams snow reliability, you shouldn't struggle for snow during the fringe seasons
Prices start from £56pp per night, accommodation only based on two sharing. For a full quote give our ski specialists a ring on
5* Le Cristal De Jade Apartments - Chamonix, France
Bringing a lot of luxury to Chamonix's self-catering scene. The modernist design with its clean lines broken up with plenty of wood, soft furnishings and clever lighting to give a refreshing alpine chalet sort of vibe.
Split across three buildings you're right on top of the off-piste Aiguille de Midi lift and Chamonix's centre is a pleasant stroll across the river.
Apartments sleep from 2 up to 8 people and start at a whopping 40 square metres - twice the space of the average hotel room.
What you may like:
- The centre building houses some swanky facilities including indoor pools, sauna, hammam, hot tubs and a gym open to all guests from 10am - 8 pm
- Grab tea and biscuits on your way to the slopes with a complimentary station by the boot room
- Chamonix's town centre is a three minute walk away and the ski bus stops right out front
- Bakery delivery service, you can collect your fresh pastries at reception where you can also pick up the daily newspapers - it's a tough life
Prices start from £59pp per night, accommodation only based on two sharing. For a full quote give our ski specialists a ring on
5* Residence L'Amara - Avoriaz, France
Another top Pierre & Vacances property just like Le Village Apartments Arc 1950, Residence L'Amara has some top facilities with numerous pools, wellness facilities and a Deep Nature Spa.
Five buildings complete the residences, there's a roaring fire in the lobby and each are ski in ski out. The view here sets it apart, fantastic panoramas down the Morzine valley as well as south facing balconies to make the most of the sun.
Apartments range from one to four bedrooms sleeping up to 10 people as the lounge has a sofa bed.
What you may like:
- Every apartment has a balcony or a terrace to enjoy some outside space
- Ski in, ski out location 10 minutes walk to the ski school meeting point though it's quicker to ski there
- Extras include a shopping delivery service and a pre-bookable fresh bread and pastry delivery
- There are two restaurants as well as a bar on site if you don't fancy cooking
- Underground parking is available
- Playstations are available to hire if you feel the urge for some button bashing
Prices start from £69pp per night, accommodation only based on two sharing. For a full quote give our ski specialists a ring on
4* Les Fermes De Méribel - Meribel, France
Self-catering apartments with the ski slopes on your doorstep in the old Meribel Village. Les Fermes de Méribel are premium residences by Pierre & Vacances built in a traditional wooden style synonymous with Meribel's architecture.
Split across six chalets, you'll have the freedom of your own space rather than confined to a hotel room yet still have the hotel facilities you love such as the indoor pool and Deep Nature Spa with a sauna and hammam.
Apartments range from one bedroom to four bedrooms sleeping up to nine people.
What you may like:
- Doorstep skiing location right next to the slopes
- Traditional chalet architecture with the trees
- Indoor pool, sauna, hammam and Deep Nature Spa
- Bakery delivery service from reception
- A bus runs between Meribel Village and the main resort all day long
Prices start from £60pp per night, accommodation only based on two sharing. For a full quote give our ski specialists a ring on
4* Les Chalets Du Forum - Courchevel, France
Positioning doesn't get much better in Courchevel 1850, 150 metres from the main Croisette lift area of the resort. Next to the ice rink, supermarket and the ESF ski school offices - it's hard to find more convenience.
Stylish wooden buildings house apartments with fully equipped kitchens and recently refurbed bathrooms. Affordable accommodation in the heart of one of the most sought-after ski resorts in the world.
Apartments range from one bedroom through to four bedrooms sleeping up to 10 people.
What you may like:
- 150 metres from the main Croisette lift area of Courchevel 1850
- Attractive wooden chalet-style buildings
- Modern bathrooms
- Fuchon Paris breakfast can be delivered to your apartment each morning
- Children's play area at reception
Prices start from £87pp per night, accommodation only based on two sharing. For a full quote give our ski specialists a ring on
What should I expect from a stay in a ski apartment?
Our ski apartments err on the side of luxury, plenty of storage space for all your baggage in the bedrooms, ample kitchen to be able to comfortably rustle up some home comforts or experiment with new ingredients. The lounges are full of mod cons with HD TV's and WiFi seemly a universally standard, Nespresso machines are constantly cropping up and outside space is taken for granted. They're certainly places you could see yourself having or outright love to have as your own home.
Facilities are a draw for hotels, however, all our apartments have access to a range of decent facilities. Saunas and steam rooms, gyms even pools in some with lounges and bars a common occurrence. Staff are on hand to offer ski route advice or help out with any issues you may have. Morning bakery deliveries aren't uncommon, you can wake up to straight out the oven goods on mornings of your choosing as a little luxury.
If you're thinking about your food situation, apartments give you complete flexibility. You're not limited to hotel set menus all week or their own brand of muesli in the mornings. You can explore the restaurants and taste the local delicacies and, if you fancy putting your slippers on one night, the kitchen is at your disposal or order in a pizza. There's something exciting about heading to a French boulangerie in the mornings grabbing freshly baked almond croissants and a creamy espresso, something you just can't get at a buffet breakfast.
What dates and duration's can I book an apartment for?
Self-catering apartments are built around their flexibility so you can realistically go for any duration on any date throughout the season. Within reason of course, one night on the 31st December may be pushing it. We'll tailor make your trip for you, whichever time of flight suits you best, whether you'd prefer private, shared or even train transfers in some cases, we can put together a ski break based on your requirements.
Why choose an apartment over a hotel or chalet?
You get your own space. A full kitchen and dining area with a living room with actual sofas and HD TVs. Make coffee when you want, lounge about on the sofas or take a glass of wine out onto the balcony. Generally being smaller than chalets, apartments are perfect for smaller groups and families as you won't have to share the communal spaces with strangers and all our apartments have the facilities you'd expect from great hotels. It depends on what you're looking for from a ski break. Ski apartments will give you more space, more freedom with plenty of convenience, plus, they're full of home comforts and great design.
Keep up to date with all the latest flexiski news