Our Favourite Ski Hotels 2018/19
At flexiski, we're constantly looking to improve our ski offering, we have people permanently across Europe scouting for the best new hotels in the resorts that will be best for all of you out there who ski with us. This is not simply looking for the biggest resorts but those who are more forward thinking, easy to access and most importantly flexible.
Flexiski is the only ski operator who can provide short breaks in St Anton for the entire winter season, that's a big claim in a major resort. But to us, the hidden gems are just as important and most of the time they're more exciting. So below we are sharing some of our favourite hotels for the 2018/19 ski season.
What do we look for in a hotel?
- Great location - whether that's halfway up a mountain or next to the train station, as long as it's convenient
- Flexible ski breaks - and all season long, we want to to be able to grab a weekend break over the half term period
- Interesting ski areas - those with more than enough skiing for a few days or perhaps simply loads of snow
- Short transfers from the airport - so you can ski on your arrival or departure day if you want
- Friendly staff - it just makes your stay more enjoyable
- Great food - who wants to eat mediocrely?
- Quirks - from family traditions to cows in the lobby, it needs to be more than a room
- Non-ski activities - we all love to ski, but sometimes a bit of night sledging is just the ticket
Flexiski's top hotel picks for ski breaks in 2018/2019
Let's start with the bargain ski hotels:
3* Royal Rochebrune - Megeve, France
Megeve was built as France's answer to St Moritz, think beautiful medieval centre, church bells, horses pulling carts through the snow with steaming coffees in the plaza and mouth-watering smells from the restaurant kitchens. Traditionally full of old money the resort hasn't reached the international acclaim of other big French ski areas but it's well deserving of it. The Rochebrune is a hotel that simply works well, nothing spectacular (bar the location) but warm, friendly and hearty.
- Across the road from the Rochbrune Gondola
- Family-friendly hotel with constant improvements to make sure everything runs smoothly
- Around 10 minutes walk to the heart of Megeve and all its splendour
- Beautiful town and a cruisy ski area with grass slopes meaning very little snow is needed for great skiing
- Being a bit of an old money ski resort, you'll have the slopes to yourself if it's not blue skies and there are no queues what-so-ever outside peak dates
- Only an hour fifteen from Geneva airport
3* Hotel Explorer - St Johann, Austria
This is a great little hotel if you're looking for convenience and an easy ski break. St Johann's ski area may be small but there's still plenty to explore for a few days, the terrain is gentle and confidence building yet if you want a sterner test Kitzbuhel is 10 minutes down the train line, it couldn't be easier to get there. The Explorer Hotel is beside the slopes, it's modern and built to function smoothly, you won't have to worry about room types as they're all the same.
- Practically on the slopes, a short walk into town
- Modern, clean and bright, it's a no frills, everything you need kind of place
- Great work benches and lockers for equipment, everything is well thought out
- Great value for money
- Wonderfully mellow terrain and only a short taxi/train to Kitzbuhel if you fancy more
- Being a year-round town there's more restaurants and bars than a resort of this size deserves to have
Move onto the mid-range marvels:
Boutique Hotel Steinerwirt 1493 - Zell am See, Austria
This hotel was built around the owner's love of art, and it's in an absolute peach of a resort for a short break. Zell am See is on the lake, surrounded by mountains and has an almost city break buzz around the town. The hotel has its own mini art gallery and a 14th-century wine cellar where you can do some tastings if that's your cup of tea.
- Rooftop hot tub - enjoy the views over the town
- Rave reviews of the restaurant in a very relaxed atmosphere
- Town centre location just 200m from the ski lift
- Lively aprés ski with a buzzing town in a picturesque location
- Great intermediate cruising terrain
- Short transfer - 1.5 hours from Salzburg
4* Das Alpenhaus - Kaprun, Austria
An underloved resort for sure, Kaprun has high altitude glacial skiing, fantastic hotels and even a 13th-century castle overlooking the town. There's local family-friendly skiing or high glacial stuff full of powder runs and snow parks. The Plaza's at the centre and a river runs past, why it's not a ski break big hitter we'll never know. But Das Alpenhaus is where to stay here.
- 1,000sqm spa area with a pool on the upper floor and six saunas below, there's even a hot tub
- Town centre location just 5 minutes walk from the Maiskogel ski area or the bus stop is right outside
- Bar area around the open fire for a cheeky nightcap or two
- High altitude skiing, about as snow sure as it's possible to get
- Under 2 hours from the airport (Salzburg), you could ski all day if you caught the last flight home
- The alpine coaster gives you something to test your steel off the slopes
4* Hotel Pavillon - Courmayeur, Italy
Over by the main ski lift of Courmayeur, the Hotel Pavillon is just out of town but it's only a short stroll to the centre and there's plenty of shops and bars along the way. The resort is a bit of a foodie haven and the skiing has enough to challenge most levels. The hotel itself is along the traditional lines a huge roaring fire and impeccably friendly service.
- A rather large pool to enjoy at your leisure with picture windows for great views
- The fire is a highlight, huge and ferociously roaring, it's a spectacle
- 200m to the gondola, you could easily be first on the slopes
- Good terrain to challenge any skier level
- 1.5 hours from Geneva, more time for skiing
- When it comes to food you can't be disappointed in Courmayeur
Or maybe you prefer something rather swanky:
4* Le Refuge des Aiglons - Chamonix, France
The Refuge des Aiglons commands arguably the best view in town, straight over Mont Blanc. And that's a high accolade indeed for Chamonix. The town is surrounded by groaning glaciers and soaring peaks with a bustling town in its midst. The cobbled streets are lined with restaurants, patisseries, boulangeries, mountain shops and a whole range of awesome bars.
- Heated outdoor Nordic pool, basque in 29-degree water overlooking Mont Blanc
- Ski shop inside the hotel and the main bus stop to take you to the slopes is right outside
- Bar area reaches up to the roof with an island bar and plenty of seating nooks and social space
- A lively town with plenty going on at any time of day or night, a city of a ski resort
- Fantastic skiing over numerous ski areas and some world famous off-piste itineraries, notably the Vallée Blanche route. Better for intermediates and advanced skiers
- One hour from Geneva airport, resorts don't get much closer
4* Hotel Kitzhof - Kitzbuhel, Austria
There are higher star rated hotels in Kitzbuhel but we think this is the best. If you take a look around and you're not absolutely wowed we'd be amazed. From the location to the complimentary mini bar, they've got everything right and you could spend hours in the pool area not to mention staring out of the huge windows from the Kitz lounge over the Hahnenkam, special.
- There's too many - Vinotek is a food and drinks mash-up worthy of your full attention
- Less than 5 minutes to the resort centre and not much further to the slopes
- The design throughout the whole hotel is solidly satisfying, no knock-offs here, that's for sure
- If you're looking for a special ski break this hotel would be hard to beat
- The skiing is world class and the resort is world famous, just google the Hahnenkamm race if you don't believe us - people book that weekend years in advance
- Medieval centre, world-beating runs and aprés ski on the sunset runs
What about North America?
If you're looking a little further afield, then there are some stunning hotels in Canada. During peak dates, it can be more cost effective to fly over to Banff for example, where winter is actually their low season. We regularly find breaks for 7 nights or more for less than £1,000 per person. North America can be an absolute steal if your dates are flexible.
Where we ski:
4* Crystal Lodge - Whistler, Canada
The largest ski resort in North America, Whistler offers it all: Plenty of skiing for all levels, fantastic non-ski activities such as the ziplining or the Scandinave Spa and some top-notch food to go with it. The Crystal Lodge is right in the centre with easy access to the gondola by foot.
- Heated outdoor pool and hot tub, there's also a sauna
- Central location, close to the best of the buzz about town
- Good range of room types to find the right room for you
- The largest ski area in North America with plenty of off-piste beside
- Constant investment in the infrastructure to make sure the resort operates as smoothly as possible
- Easy to twin centre with a Vancouver city break as this is where you fly into
5* Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise - Lake Louise, Canada
A focal point for the dramatic scenery of Banff National Park. Lake Louise is one of the most iconic spots in the word. The Fairmont Chateau overlooks the frozen lake where you can skate on the natural ice rink surrounded by pine forests before retreating into the timeless grandeur of a bygone era.
- The location is simply majestic, an expanse of frozen water with a pine forest and glacial backdrop. Unbeatable
- Sparkling chandeliers, Great Gatsby staircases and a floor-to-ceiling wine library
- There's an indoor pool and spa area if you can tear yourself away from the lake
- The biggest ski area of the Banff-Lake Louise tri-area, tonnes of skiing for all levels
- Low season prices means it's a relative bargain
- Just look at the pictures, you'll be surrounded by wilderness, expect to be spotting elk as well as skiers
This is by no means an exhaustive list, just a few of the hotels/resorts you may have previously overlooked on your ski break searches. No hotel is perfect for all but there's plenty of options out there. Our ski specialists will be able to tell you more if you give them a ring on 0208 939 0862 or take a look at our offers and packages for some further tailor-made inspiration.