Overview of Sunshine Mountain Lodge
At Sunshine Mountain Lodge you’re guaranteed to be one of the first people on the mountain. Located in the Sunshine Village ski area, it is the only ski in, ski out hotel in Banff National Park and as such, check-in is actually at the base of the gondola, which then takes you up to the hotel.
The hotel is decorated in a rustic style with modern touches, complementing its forested surroundings. Because it is the only hotel on the mountain, you have everything you need in one place with amenities including a massive outdoor hot tub (we're talking 35 people), sauna, gym, games room with arcade games and a pool table as well as a family room with sofas, board games and a cosy fireplace.
Evenings tend to be quiet but there is still plenty to keep you occupied with two restaurants (fine dining and casual) as well as a sports bar and Mad Trappers Smokehouse (saloon style bar - originally built in 1920 as a ranger's lodge). After the ski lifts close, the hotel offers complimentary activities for guests including snowshoeing, tobogganing evenings and movie nights (every night).
Banff in Canada is a stunning destination for a superb ski holiday and Sunshine Mountain Lodge is the only ski in, ski out accommodation.
Nb. Should you arrive outside gondola opening hours (Saturday – Thursday: 08:00 – 17:00 and Friday: 08:00 – 22:00), you will need to take the shuttle ‘Sunshine Suzy’ to the hotel - Suzy is a 4x4 with caterpillar tracks, so an experience in itself. This needs to be arranged in advance and will be an additional cost (around 150$). The hotel will liaise with the transfer company so they'll know if you are delayed or arriving early.
*Sunshine Mountain Lodge include a Sunshine lift pass for all paying guests for each day after a night spent at the hotel.
What we like
- Only ski in, ski out hotel in Banff national park, with lift tickets included in your room rates
- Secluded, prime position once the lifts close with plenty of activities to occupy you - tobogganing, snow shoe head lamp lit tours, bonfire nights, movie nights and Mad Trappers Smokehouse open till 12/1am
- Fantastic mountain views from all rooms and even the outdoor mega hot tub
- The Lodge is up the mountain, you have clear star-filled skies and like-minded guests to entertain you
- If you arrive late you should let the hotel know as soon as possible as the only way up the mountain after the lifts close is their cat truck (which will set you back $150) to bring you to the lodge. Make sure you get there before 5:30pm for the last gondola up.
- If you arrive early you can leave your baggage at the bottom of the gondola and go ski, staff will take your bags up to the lodge for you
View on map
Sunshine Mountain Lodge is unique as it is the only ski in, ski out hotel in Banff National Park. It sits in the Sunshine Village ski area, which is a 20-minute gondola ride from the Sunshine Village base station – you have to catch the gondola up to the accommodation.
Sunshine Village itself is about 25 minutes drive from Banff town but the hotel does provide regular complimentary shuttle buses to both Banff and Lake Louise (which is about 45 minutes away).
Distance to liftsOn the doorstep
Distance to town18.4km, 20 minute taxi
Ski regionBanff Tri Area
The rooms at Sunshine Mountain Lodge all include:
- Flat screen TV
- Internet access
- Kettle/coffee maker
- Humidifier to help with the altitude
Deluxe waterfall view rooms
These rooms have a view of the Waterfall run and are in the main lodge. They feature a queen bed and single pull out bed.
Sleeps max. 3
Deluxe view with balcony rooms
Deluxe view rooms are the same as the deluxe waterfall view rooms with the added bonus of a private slope-side balcony and a village view.
Sleeps max. 3
West wing premiere rooms
These rooms are larger and in the new west wing of the hotel. They include a queen bed and a queen murphy bed with floor to ceiling mountain view windows and ski to the door access. They also have a fire place and a balcony.
Sleeps max. 4
West wing premiere lofts
Again in the new west wing, these are split-level rooms with impressive mountain views through 27 feet of glass.
Heated floors, gas fireplaces and upgraded amenities add to the luxury. With a queen bed and a queen murphy bed on the lower floor along with a bathroom with jetted tub and the upper loft has a king bed with private bath.
Sleeps max. 6
- Eagle’s Nest Canadian Bistro – fine dining
- Chimney Corner fireside dining
- Java Lift Coffee Bar
- Mad Trappers Smokehouse/Saloon
- Banff’s largest outdoor hot pool
- Cedar lined dry Sauna
- Verde day spa – massage and treatments
- Games room with pool table, bubble hockey, arcade games, Wii console and TV
- Family room with sofas, board games and wood burning fireplace
- In house shopping
- Ski Lockers, boot drying rack
Sunshine Mountain Lodge also offer evening activities
- Tobogganing evenings 3 times a week (Tuesday, Thursday , Saturday)
- Movie nights with popcorn
- Friday night shuttle to Banff town (catch last gondola back up the mountain at 10pm)
Bed & breakfast
Resort height - 1,380m
Highest point - 2,730m
Ski areaBanff Tri Area - 7,748 skiable acres
Banff is made up of the three key resorts of Norquay, Sunshine Village and Lake Louise. Shuttle buses run between the resorts throughout the day.
Green runs 23%
Blue runs 30%
Black runs 30%
Lifts - 28
Season length - November to May
Beginners - 3/5
Intermediates - 4/5
Experts - 4/5
Snowboarders - 3/5
Families - 4/5
Après - 3/5
Eating out - 5/5
Scenery - 4/5
Cross-country skiing | galleries | heli-skiing | husky dog sledding | museums | natural hot spring pools | night skiing on Mt Norquay | performing arts centre | shopping | snowmobiling | snow tubing (included in your lift pass) | wildlife walks | distillery tours | Johnson Canyon ice walks
Calgary - 1 hour 45 minutes
Banff Tri Area lift pass
6 day lift pass from £347*
9 day lift pass from £520*
*early booking discounts are available (if booked in time that is)
Keep up to date with all the latest flexiski news